Sunday, August 5, 2012

After Dinner at Anna's

I am working on a series of poems about my favorite places in Fairhope. Typically I try to write a poem about different significant events in my life, just for myself, because it helps me capture the feeling of the event rather than the raw facts. Having lived in Fairhope almost 6 years now, it's a veritable treasure trove of memories and beautiful places. Let me know what you think, or if you have a favorite place in Fairhope I should try and capture. This first one is my best friend Anna's house.







After Dinner at Annas



When for only the second time God parted the waters
the dry space between was your kitchen,
And our ships settled nicely on the countertops.
Four captains, we sat-
In flushed tones and true voices
Moments made holy by the storms held back
on either side of the house.
here we all knew- was something,
some few moments that touched the bottom of reality.
The brilliant colors of companionship
and the idea that, despite everything,
the world still persists in being beautiful
and that the four of us had tasted it.

as the waters start to flood the kitchen again
and the clocks tick
we sail away on our vessels
knowing
the world to be Magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment